In the video above, I compared the prices between one unheated (100% natural) and two heated GRS certified 4 to 5 carat, Vivid ‘Royal Blue’ Sri Lankan Sapphire.
All three sapphires are 4 to 5 carat each, are GRS certified, vivid ‘royal blue’ from Sri Lanka. The cost difference is between unheated stone and two heated – The unheated sapphire cost is US$8,000 per carat while the two heated stones cost is US$3,500 per carat
The method I use to determine the value of any gemstone is by first categorizing the stone based on the 4Cs + OT method.
The six criteria I have summarized in bullet form are below.
All three stones have similar criteria as indicated in GRS certification:
HOW TO DETERMINE A VALUE OF A SAPPHIRE?
We use the 4C’s + OT method:
- Carat Weight
- Treatment levels
All three sapphire’s GRS Certificate copies are provided below, which states four criteria like ‘carat weight, color grade, origin, and treatment level.’
- Color –
- GRS grade – Vivid Blue “Royal-Blue” which I completely agree with in my eyes
- Carat Weight –
- Above 4 carats to 5 carats (4.06 carats, 4.14 carats & 5.12 carats)
- Origin –
- Sri Lanka
- Treatment levels –
- No Indication of thermal treatment which means 100% natural unheated sapphire (4.06 carat stone)
- H – which means normal heat treatment (for two stones – 4.14 carats & 5.12 carats)
Clarity and cut grade must be determine by the naked eye as the labs does not provide this detail. This will effect the gemstones brilliance, sparkle and scintillation.
- Clarity (Two criteria) –
- Inclusions – 90 to 100% Eye-clean or ‘Very Slight’ Inclusions
- Transparency – 100% Transparent and not cloudy (not translucent or opaque)
- Cut Grade –
- Very Good to Excellent for all three sapphires
- 4.06 carats – unheated sapphire – US$8,000 per carat or US$32,480
- 4.14 carats – heated sapphire – US$3,500 per carat or US$14,490
- 5.12 cates – heated sapphire – US$3,500 per carat or US$17,920
TYPE OF NATURAL INCLUSIONS SRI LANKAN SAPPHIRES HAVE – UNHEATED VS HEATED
UNHEATED – No indication of heat treatment inclusions in Sri Lanka Sapphire
- Intact, fine, needle-like Silk (rutile needles) intersecting at 60 degrees angle.
- Unaltered mineral inclusions, crystals, and needles
Video shows all the above inclusions. Also, I have provided some images of these inclusions below.
HEATED – Normal Heat Treatment inclusions in Sri Lanka Sapphire
- Broken silk or partially “reabsorbed” rutile needles
- Inkspots from the heating process
I have provided some images of these inclusions below.
Other resources to see typical Sri Lankan inclusions I recommend checking the following websites:
Contact us today to get all your wholesale gemstones, diamonds, and custom jewelry needs. We can Source, Search and Supply anything you require.
What will you get if you contact us
- Start a conversation with us at FB.com/ThaiNativeGems/
- Get wholesale and highly competitive prices of gemstones & diamonds from anywhere through our extensive network of contacts around the world.
- All stones sold by us are verified in-house by our GIA Graduate Gemologist or are certified.
- We provide personalized service and NOT the same old “One Size Fits All” Approach
You can learn more by clicking here or image below